Active Release Techniques
Active Release Techniques (ART) is a patented soft tissue system that aims to relieve tightness, tension, and discomfort in muscles, tendons, ligaments, nerves and fascia. This non-invasive method focuses on breaking up adhesions or scar tissues that form within the body’s soft tissues due to overuse, trauma, or repetitive stress.
What is an ART treatment like?
Every ART session is actually a combination of examination and treatment. The ART provider uses his or her hands to evaluate the texture, tightness and movement of muscles, fascia, tendons, ligaments and nerves. Abnormal tissues are treated by combining precisely directed tension with very specific patient movements. These treatment protocols – over 500 specific moves – are unique to ART. They allow providers to identify and correct the specific problems that are affecting each individual patient. ART is not a cookie-cutter approach.
Conditions ART Can Help Address
- Muscle tightness and Imbalances – Addressing tightness and imbalances that lead to discomfort or restricted movement.
- Repetitive Strain Injuries – Alleviating pain associated with RSIs such as Carpal Tunnel or Tennis Elbow.
- Sports Injuries – Accelerating recovery from sports related injuries like strains, sprains and muscle pulls.
- Postural Issues – Correcting postural imbalances that may cause chronic pain or discomfort.
- Nerve Entrapment Syndromes – Easing symptoms associated with compressed nerves, such as tingling or numbness.